Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?
David, Psalm 22:1

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Jesus, Mathew 27:46, Mark 15:34
One of the most moving and thought-provoking articles I ever read recently appeared in Time magazine. Entitled Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith,it shares with us the main thesis of a recently published biography on the kind Mother, Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light .

This is not a story to be lightly read or analyzed. It is a story that each of us with a heart for Jesus Christ should consider with a light on our own understanding of our relationship with our God. The Mother Teresa was not the icon we all came to relate her with; she was a much more human figure who struggled with doubts of her relationship with Christ as we all do in our own personal "moments of darkness."

It seems we can only know the purest form of God's love for us after experiencing the absence of Him in our Life. And it is in those darkest moments when our faith binds us most tightly to him...
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
Psalm 23 has even more meaning to me knowing how long Mother Teresa dwelt in that place. Thank God for her life, and her testimony.

Sir Chuck, on knee to the Good Mother

2 comments:

  1. Who hasn't had a crises of faith? God bless her.
    I do wonder about the propriety of publishing such things in a public magizine though.

    Sir Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir Chuck Your thoughts on Mother Teresa are touching and true. Thinking of people who have went through dark times reminds me of my dear mother-in-law. She would be celebrating her 71st. birthday today. My youngest daughter asked if we could go to her grave after school and send a card attached to a balloon so she could get a b-day card in heaven I said that would be great! God is so good to send people like my mom-in-law and mother Teresa in our lives; women who heard the voice of God and were always ready to do whatever he asked of them. In loving memory,lynda

    ReplyDelete