Monday, January 10, 2011

Hidden Mysteries of God's Plan

Yesterday, my pastor preached a marvelous word of God's mysteries, both those mysteries we know about, and those we don't.

Though I am the least deserving of all God’s people, he graciously gave me the privilege of telling the Gentiles about the endless treasures available to them in Christ. I was chosen to explain to everyone this mysterious plan that God, the Creator of all things, had kept secret from the beginning.

- Ephesians 3:8-9 (New Living Translation)

Secret from the beginning. In the apostle Paul's case, the mystery that was revealed to him was God's plan to unite true believers, both Jew and Gentile, in Jesus Christ. Still, God's methods remain hard to fathom.

The honor Paul realized through this revelation carried him passionately through to his last day on earth. The message was clear to him; share the message of Christ with all.

My pastor pointed out that other mysteries are still unknown to us, and are being revealed all the time. And as often happens, I received a follow-up on this word. This morning, I clicked on the TV as I stoked the fire, just to check out what was on the hi-def channel. And I was captured by the beginning of the 2005 movie, "The March of the Penguins." If you haven't seen this movie, you should. Besides the unbelievable photography of the Antarctic and its penguin inhabitants, the mysteries of these penguins, how they march annually to their mating grounds, how they choose mates, how they survive for months in Antarctic winters with no food, how the little egg/baby penguin survives (or doesn't) in such temperatures, how the father penguin finds his little one simply by recognizing its little chirp, are beyond amazing...they make one realize that there are some things only God will understand.


Even more amazing to me, was the realization that these penguin mysteries had remained basically unknown to man from the beginning of time until the production of this movie. These penguins had been shuffling around with their eggs between their legs for centuries, unmindful that man had not yet come along to marvel at their behavior. They were a mystery unknown.

And what had I learned, as this mystery of the penguins was revealed to me?

1. That the beauty of God's creation is beyond comprehension.

2. That life is ever so much more precious than we ever consider.

3. That our lives are a lot easier than penguins.

When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.

-Ephesians 3:14-21, New Living Translation

5 comments:

  1. I do congratulate both you and Lynda for being so committed to one another. 24 years is a lot of ups and downs and you all have been faithful! Love you both. Oh yes, I loved the blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really nice! God is good and I think it's the mysteriousness of him that continuely draws me closer. Oh, and congrats to you on being married to me! Your are a lucky guy! ( okay, I guess I'm pretty lucky gal too:)) Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just making my first entry for a long time; I enjoy your round table Chuck.

    Jason Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great example of the wisdom and compassion of God. Think how many wonders we will see in heaven that we could never have imagined while on earth.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear from you again, Jason. Your comments always appreciated here.

    ReplyDelete