Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Favorite Scriptures

This one saved me.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
- John 3:16 King James

This one saved my marriage.
Live happily with the woman you love through all the meaningless days of life that God has given you under the sun. The wife God gives you is your reward for all your earthly toil.
- Ecclesiastes 9:9 New Living Translation

When I realized that she was the very best thing that God had given or was ever to give me in this life, I saw her in a new light - the light of Christ.

This one made me realize that the sum of my life will be more than what I can achieve on my own.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
- Philippians 4:13 New King James

This one keeps me on track.
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 3:12-14 NIV

This one thrills me...
Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
- Matthew 5:8

This one blows my mind.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- John 1:1 NIV

I love the Book of Timothy, and this sums it up.
But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, which some have professed and in so doing have departed from the faith.

Grace be with you all.

1 Timothy 6:11-21 NIV

5 comments:

  1. Chuck,

    Great verses.

    "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly.."

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you love the Lord first and my daughter second...then me somewhere along the line. Love you too. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pro 31:10-31. Reminds me of some of the tough 19th century women like this:

    http://www.eraoftheclipperships.com/page41web7.html

    Ps 107. Gives a picture of what traveling was like then.

    Admittedly that is thinking more from the literary then the pious point of view.

    Jason Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great example of the Psalm 31 woman in action, Jason, thanks. That she and her husband died so young seems to have been a reward of early entry to that greater life on high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe so. Wouldn't surprise me.

    Jason Taylor

    ReplyDelete